Sunday 15 November 2020

Miles - The Autobiography

 

 

I am reading a new book this week.  The autobiography of Miles Davis.  I never knew this book existed until I accidentally saw it in a list of  'best music bios'.  I'm up to about 1958 and Miles has just recorded Milestones with his sextet at the time, which featured the great saxophinists John Coltrane and Cannonball Adderley.

It's an entertaining read and not at all what I expected.  I'm not sure I'd put it up a list of 'greats', but if you have a vague interest in his life and the music of his era then put it on your list.  There's great passages about Charlie Parker, John Coltrane and other greats.  Miles doesn't hold back in the criticism of people who he thought were undeserving of attention.  He has no time for the racist attitudes in America either and expresses his views in strong terms.

Recommended for music lovers.

Until next time, peace and love.

 Postscript: I finished this book and have to say I really enjoyed it.  What a life he lived.  Although as a human being Miles Davis made a great musician.  There's no doubt he was a very difficult person and some of the story casts him in a very unfavourable way.  And yet it his story and he was willing to tell it in all its ugliness and rawness.  Above everything else he was all about finding new sounds and exploring his art to the end.  I highly recommend this book.