Sunday 25 April 2021

Klara and The Sun

 

As you know I use these pages to keep a record of things I get up to.  A kind of diary I guess.  This includes a record of the books I am reading at the time.  Here's the latest one, Klara and the Sun, by Japanese-English author and Nobel Laurette, Kazuo Ishiguro.  Thrillingly my copy has been signed by the author.

Despite his fame as an author I have not previously read one of Ishiguro's books.  I don't know how people keep up with all the books that come out and there are so many I have not read.  And I consider myself a fairly regular reader.  I usually have one or two books on the go at one time.

This story is set in the future in America, but not so far away that we don't recognise elements of the portrayed world.  Klara is our narrator and an AF, or Artificial Friend.  AF's are used to keep teenage children company in this future world and Klara is purchased by her mother to keep Josie company.  Josie lives with her mother who is divorced.  We view this world through Klara's sharp observations of Josie and her environment.

In this world children attend school via videolink (Zoom anyone?) so they are socially isolated.  Next door lives Rick who is Josie's best friend.  We learn that Josie is a 'lifted' child which means she has been earmarked for a priviliged education and future.  Rick's future is not so assured as he is not one of the chosen children.  Despite this difference Rick and Josie are devoted to one another.

Rosie has a serious disease, the name of which we never learn, but we know her older sister died from this condition.  Josie and Klara become close and Klara's sole purpose as an AF is to provide unconditional friendship for Josie.  Josie's mother has another purpose for Klara in mind and this understory is disturbing.  Josie's father appears and seems to be a troubled individual, apparently holed up with a bunch of preppers somewhere up North.

A few things struck me about this book.  The adults do not come across well and the world they have created for their children appears to be cruel and ultra competitive (maybe it's more real than I first thought).  I grew weary with Klara's narration which is robotic and limited.  I can understand the use of Klara's voice to tell this story, but it's tone got to me after a while.  That all said, the book has some profound messages about the dangers of unchecked technology and the moral slippage which can occur in people's lives.  At the end it is Klara who, with her acute observational powers, understands the nature of love and humanity better than anyone else.

Until next time, peace and love.