Sunday 24 January 2021

Tech Alert! - Construction of 6m Yagi antenna

 

The finished product - 4 element Yagi antenna for 50 MHz (6 metres)

This post purely serves as a record keeping exercise for me so that I can check back at some point in the future when I need to view the specs for this antenna I recently built.  The design came from a Serbian amateur YU7EF who is a master antenna designer.  His webpage is at http://www.yu7ef.com/

This was a fun build and I learnt a lot about antenna construction along the way.  Best of all the antenna has proven to be a very good performer.  It works!  Believe me, I don't get to say that very often when I build something.  Mostly it's "oh well, it was worth a try".  I have made contacts all over Australia, NZ and into Indonesia so far with the this antenna over the summer Sporadic E season.

I was extremely careful in measuring the element spacing and lengths and was rewarded with a perfectly matched antenna.  Here are the vital dimensions and gain measurements.

I used the 10mm diameter elements in my construction so the antenna is extremely lightweight.

Using the ARRL antenna handbook recipe I also constructed a common-mode choke tuned for 50 MHz and using LMR-400 coaxial cable.  Here's a photo of the choke.

And here is a pic of the element mounting.  Note the ancient Inca rug.



I used Stauff hydraulic hose clamps from the local EnZed outlet.  These are perfect for this purpose and cost less than $30 for a bag of 25 clamps.

I am very pleased with this build, the only thing I would change next time is use heavier grade aluminium for the boom.  I wasn't able to purchase a heavier grade locally at the time.

Until next time, peace and love.