Wednesday 20 January 2021

Two songs for you from Jess Cornelius

 

I am a latecomer to Jess Cornelius, an Australian singer/songwriter now based in the USA.  I first heard her sing in her band Teeth and Tongue maybe a couple of years ago.  Beautiful electro pop gems with an indie edge.  But beyond listening to one record I didn't venture any further until her debut solo record Distance was released a few months ago.  Wow!  What a gem of a record.  It is so full of great songs I have to be careful not to over play it as I want the wonder to last as long as possible.

This was going to be "a song for you" post, but I can't choose between these two songs.  Both videos were shot in LA during COVID lockdown in mid 2020 as you will soon pick up.  

The first song "Kitchen Floor" is the opening track on the record and it's a killer tune and vocal.  I love the video as it makes a strong statement which challenges society's expectations of women by depicting a situation not usually shown and one I've never heard discussed in polite circles.  You don't need me to explain anymore as you'll get it soon enough.

The second song "Body Memory" deals with a tragic event in the song character's life and the fall out for a relationship.  It's a beautifully told story and I find the lyric quiet moving.  The clip though is just plain fun and should be marketed as an exercise video (they probably don't make them anymore, right?).

Please listen to some of the best Australian music there is (or has been).

Jess Cornelius Bandcamp page: https://jesscornelius.bandcamp.com/ 

Until next time, peace and love.

PS, I am still reading that monster novel.

Jess Cornelius - Kitchen Floor

Jess Cornelius - Body Memory