Friday 12 March 2021

Infinite Splendours by Sophie Laguna

 

I've just finished this book.  It's an extraordinarily difficult story, but so beautifully and tenderly told by Sophie Laguna.  

In 1953 Laurence Loman is a bright ten year old boy who lives in country Victoria with his war widowed mother and eight year old brother Paul.  Laurence is a capable young boy and caring toward his mother and brother.  He also has a natural aptitude for painting.  

A man enters the family's life and a great betrayal occurs leaving Laurence broken and sad.  The years follow into Laurence's adulthood and despite his loneliness he creates beautiful art and has a loving heart.  But Laurence emotionally knows little of love and is at great risk of repeating what was done to him as a boy.

I had a knot in my stomach for most of this book.  In the beginning chapters I delighted in the portrayal of young boyhood, although I knew this idyll could not last so I felt a constant sense of dread.  In the chapters that followed I was anxious by what might occur, knowing that Laurence would be unable to cope with adversity of any sort.

It's a difficult and sad book, but filled with great beauty.  Sophie Laguna's writing is supreme. 

Not for everyone and a warning for survivors of abuse.

Until next time peace and love.