Thursday 11 March 2021

The Great Passage

 

 
A quick post here.  I recently read this short novel The Great Passage by Shion Miura.  I think I read about it in the NY Times or somewhere and thought it looked interesting.  It's all about the writing of a dictionary and the characters involved, the central one being Majime who is a brilliant, but disorganised and disheveled young man.
 
Majime is  found in the sales department of the publishing company he works for by the soon to be retiring lexicographer, Araki, who needs a replacement.  Majime is not much of a sales person, but turns out to be well suited to lexicography.
 
It's a strange book in the way Japanese books can be to western readers, but this makes it all the more charming.  There's love and loss and you get to learn a little about the Japanese language.  It was the perfect antidote to Karl Ove Knaussgard.
 
While digging about on the internet for an image of this book I discovered it had been made into a film in 2013 as well as an anime TV series.  The trailer for the film is below and it looks like a lot of fun.  Not sure about the anime series and that's not really my thing.  I'm going to see if I can find a copy of the film.
 
Recommended for people who love words.
 
Until next time, peace and love.